All blog posts are cross posted

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oil Rig Explosion media coverage

Maybe I'm biased and maybe it is too soon to tell but it seems to me the last coal mine disaster got a lot more media coverage than the very recent oil rig explosion.  I just did a Bing.com search and there were 5,590,000 results.  Granted this was going all over the world and back quite a few years.  When I binged an oil rig explosion I got 931,000 results. Again this was going all over the world and probably the same number of years.
When I used Google I got 1,380,000 and I got 4,180,000 results for Oil rig explosion.
So using those it is hard to tell what actually gets the biggest coverage on newspapers and blogs.

Just a few weeks ago I remember seeing many breaking news stories with reporters standing around a town where the survivors and relatives were.  Now maybe I'm not watching the right channels (mostly none) but this morning I made an effort.  Only on GMA did they lead with the disaster coverage. It was short but they did it before the story of a"sportsman"  being sidelined because of terrible behavior in a barroom. So cudoes to ABC for that. The rest led with that story and the Obama headlines as usual.

Maybe it is just the "if it bleeds it leads" mentality, and far be it from me to denigrate the suffering of suviving members of a coal miner's family, but could we see just a little more sympathy for oil workers surviving family members.  I realize it is easier to get to a land site but if ABC can get an at least local crew to one of the sites where the oil rig survivors were being brought, all the other media could also.

I also wonder if it happens that coal miner's have a union and mostly the oil workers do not?  Any thoughts there?

No comments:

Post a Comment