All blog posts are cross posted

Friday, February 19, 2010

Is the IRS Criminal Investigations Unit Really That Big?

I was surprised to see this in the Houston Chronicle as I read about the man who ran his plane into the building:
Stack took off in his single-engine Piper Cherokee from Georgetown Municipal Airport at 9:40 a.m. Twenty minutes later, his plane crashed into the IRS building in north Austin that houses the criminal investigations unit, sparking a fire and sending two people to the hospital.
This in no way condones what he did, it just makes me wonder.  I had assumed the IRS would be extremely busy this time of year with tax time, it never occured to me the building would not have been used for that purpose.  Apparently the criminal investigations unit is far larger than I had ever imagined. 

2 comments:

  1. Processing is done at another building in southeast Austin with big truck docks; in the old days of paper, 18-wheelers delivered crates of returns daily where veritable armies of clerks processed hundreds of returns each day.

    The gun-toting agents had an unmarked office on the far side of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am still reeling from learning there are that many people involved in criminal investigations at the IRS. My cousin in Oklahoma worked for them for many years and always referred to it as the "Infernal Revenue Service."

    ReplyDelete