All blog posts are cross posted

Friday, February 12, 2010

Debra Medina Responds to Her Own Words

From the Houston Chronicle:
9/11 comments trip up gov hopeful Debra Medina
GOP candidate for governor says question about U.S. involvement theory was surprise
By R.G. RATCLIFFE
AUSTIN — Anti-Washington activist Debra Medina was on the brink of knocking U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison out of a likely Republican gubernatorial runoff, but she may have spoiled her chances Thursday with her remarks on the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
A series of public opinion polls of likely Republican primary voters this past week had indicated that Hutchison was dangerously close to losing second place to Medina in the contest to oust incumbent Gov. Rick Perry.
Medina has benefited from a pair of solid debate appearances, and millions of dollars in attack television advertising by Hutchison and Perry has made her the none-of-the-above candidate for conservative voters.
But Medina may have stumbled Thursday when talk show host Glenn Beck asked whether she believed the government was involved in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Medina said people raising that question were slinging “mud” at her but went on to say:
“I don't have all of the evidence there, Glenn, so I don't, I'm not in a place, I have not been out publicly questioning that. I think some very good questions have been raised in that regard. There are some very good arguments, and I think the American people have not seen all of the evidence there so I have not taken a position on that.”
Medina later issued a statement saying she does not believe the government was involved in the attacks. She said Beck surprised her with the question on his show.
“I have never been involved with the 9/11 truth movement, and there is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11,” the statement read. “I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way.”
Read the rest here.
As I see it, she is definitely out on this cycle of elections, time will tell if she can redeem herself in time for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment