All blog posts are cross posted

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day

A day of remembrance, respect, honor and for some beaches, swimming, parks, grilling, hot dogs, hamburgers, cokes, beer, family time.

We observe all of the above in my family and extended family. When I was a girl we called it Decoration Day and the family cemetery plots were cleaned up and decorated, flags for the veterans, flowers for the others.

I always knew we had a patriotic family.  My two uncles, my father's brothers, enlisted after Pearl Harbor, a second cousin who was that age, did too.We honored these men.

When I started doing genealogy I found a great many veterans in my history.  I was thrilled some years ago to visit the old family cemeteries on my mother's side and find flags had been placed on every veterans grave, even back to the Revolutionary War. This was in Indiana and Ohio.

This is a weekend to honor those who have gone before as well as those who are still with us. Both of my brothers served in the United States Navy, my son-in-law served in Viewnam.  My grandson is in the United States Air Force, . What a proud day it was when he graduated his basic training. My grandnephew, a graduate of the Naval Academy, is expected back from Afghanistan on June 2nd, eagerly anticipated by all his extended family.

Thanks to all of those I have mentioned and to those I haven't who have worn the colors of our nations military. We would not be the nation we are without those who have gone before, are serving now and those who will serve in the future.  You all have my honor and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment