All blog posts are cross posted

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Remember Pearl Harbor

Dec. 7th, 1941. A long, long time ago. The older folks of that generation have left us. I was a child that day. I remember it well. I am 74, those who remember it well will be here maybe 25 more years, many will not.

We who are here need to make sure it is never forgotten. Just like 9/11 we were attacked. I am afraid many who were alive on 9/11 have forgotten that was an attack on our nation.

We have been attacked in more subtle ways since then. Many of those attacks have been ignored as attacks agains the nation. In fact we are undergoing one of those attacks right now. When anyone is willing to release our state secrets to expose them to the world, that is an attack. Did you realize Wikileaks is willing to tell the world's terrorists where the best spots to hit us are, that is an attack.

We overcame the attack of December 7th.  Can we overcome the attack on our country today?  We are attacked in so many ways. Let us remember Pearl Harbor, let us pray we can come together and throw off those who would destroy us today.

2 comments:

  1. My Dad's birthday is today, and he was only 13 years old. I always knew about the bombing of Pearl Harbor from history classes and listening to Dad and Grandma talk about it. After going to the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, I have never felt the same since. I can't believe the emotion that came over me. I'm almost in tears just writing this. To be there at the Memorial over the Arizona and know that the ship's 1,177 crewmen are still resting in this place is unreal. Before going out to the Memorial, a film is presented that is actual footage. It is so sad! Please be sure to check out these websites, including watching the video "Remember Pearl Harbor".

    http://pacificislandparks.com/
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/usar/extendweb1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the links. My generation is enough older than yours to make a big difference on war memories.

    ReplyDelete